60% of courts and bungalows near completion, to be commissioned before October, says President Akufo-Addo
The initial announcements for these projects were made in March, during the State of the Nation’s Address.
President Nana Akufo-Addo says the project being undertaken to build 100 bungalows and court houses for judges is nearing completion, and will soon see commissioning when the new legal year begins.
Speaking at the opening of the Bar Conference in Ho, the Volta Region, he stated that 60 per cent of that infrastructure would be completed and commissioned in October.
“Government is constructing 100 new courts bungalows and for judges in all 16 regions of the country. 60 per cent of these courts and bungalows are being completed and will be commissioned before the start of the next legal year in October. The remaining 40 per cent will be duly completed and commissioned by the end of the first quarter of 2023.”
Six new regional High Courts are also being constructed in the newly created regions. Three of the courts that is those in Ahafo, Bono East, and Oti] will be completed and ready for commissioning again before October. The other three, that is those in North East, Savannah and Western North, which are at 80 per cent completion will be ready for commissioning, by the end of the first quarter of 2023,” he said.
Additionally, the new Court of Appeal complex being constructed in Kumasi is expected to be commissioned in October as well, the President said.
“A new modern court of Appeal court complex in Kumasi, together with 20 townhouses and a guest house, to serve as a primary residence for Court of Appeal judges based in Kumasi who will be mandated to handle appeals from the Northern sector of the country, will also be completed and commissioned, before the end of October.”
The initial announcements for these projects were made in March, during the State of the Nation’s Address. In all, about 200 structures are promised to be built for the Judiciary, including the yet-to-be-finished Law House edifice.