52% of lawyers called to the Ghana Bar in 2022 are females
Of this number, 437 equivalent to 52% is female lawyers while the remaining 407 which represents 42% are males.
844 new lawyers were called to the Ghana Bar at an event that took place at the Accra International Conference Centre on November 11, 2022.
Out of this number, 437 equivalent to 52% were female lawyers while the remaining 407 representing 48% were males.
Similarly, 2014, 2015, and 2019 Calls to the Bar had females dominating their male counterparts in terms of numbers.
It is worth noting that as many as 8915 lawyers have been called to the Ghana Bar from 1877 to date.
Of this number, some 5859 representing 66% are reported to be males while 3056 equalling 34% are females.
This shows that on the whole, the female numbers are still trailing however records of recent years mentioned supra, show that things may change soon.
The 2022 event was the 59th Anniversary in the history of enrolment on the Roll of Lawyers.
The GLC convenes a formal meeting annually to enroll and call to the Ghana Bar, candidates who have successfully passed their professional law examination organized by the Ghana School of Law after their results have been certified.
The new lawyers by the ceremony, are certified by the GLC to begin their legal profession in the country.